At the department where I work, my collegues don’t really know the network basics.
I discovered it when I had a discussion like (note there are no routers involved in the network we discussed!):
Coll: That was weird… the computers couldn’t communicate with eachother.
Me: Explain… how did you config it?
Coll: Well… one system has IP-addres 192.168.0.10 and the other one 192.168.1.50, with subnet 255.255.255.0!
Me: Well… to be honest, that is quite normal…
So… I made a crashcourse with networkbasics. It covers the next topics:
- What is communicating
- Models of communicating (simplex/half-duplex/full-duplex)
- The OSI-Model and the different layers
- The global knowledge of Ethernet II and a hub versus a switch
- IP in general
- IPv4 networks with subnets a network classes
- The Transmission Control Protocol
- The User Datagram Protocol
- Discuss a TCP packet sniffed by Ethereal
- The movie Warriors of the Net