I guess I did something wrong… | Just my blog

/dev/random

I guess I did something wrong…

Last Friday I was playing around with one of my FreeBSD production servers. On that server I've a number of users for e-mail and other services.

I was playing around as root, because I wanted to update/install some new stuff. But at a certain moment I found out that I was not able to login as a non-root user (nor as root). So first I've changed the root-password and allowed root to login via SSH. Because I had a running session to that box via a screen-session I was able to do so.

But, still needed to figure out what went wrong.

Some while ago, I've start using subversion to make backups of my config-files. And as a standard procedure I make sure I've an up to date version of the config-repository on my laptop and workstation. ;-)

I found out that the next files were modified:

  • /etc/passwd
  • /etc/master.passwd
  • /etc/pwd.db
  • /etc/spwd.db

After having these files restored, normal users were able to login in again :-O

There were also some other files modified, but by using diff and creating a patch file I was able to restore them very quick.

So lessons learned for me about this... is... make sure you've backups, and do read the messages which pops up!



  • Social

  • By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

    The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible and enable advertising to provide you free content. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

    Close