Since I found out that it is possible to defeat the security of a firewall… it is also possible to go on the Internet totally secured… without beeing monitored
- A SSH-server who listen to port 443;
- An account on the SSH-server which allows tunnels;
- A proxy server (i.e the one of your ISP).
- A browser (I prefer Firefox);
- In case of a Win32 system… a SSH-Client (i.e. PuTTY).
So what we first do, is setup a tunnel to the webproxy
putty -L 8080:wwwproxy.xs4all.nl:8080 -P 443 [email protected]
If you have done this… je set the firefox up to use the proxy server by using the next settings:
Proxyserver: 127.0.0.1 Port:8080
And it works… and all the HTTP traffic which goes in and out will be encrypted by the SSH-tunnel
Take a look at the next diagram:
Note: The case as described above was a bet with a good friend of mine, no illegal actions did happen!!!